Price: from $300 per person
Season: year round, depending on conditions
Technical difficulty: easy to hard
Fitness level: moderate +
Duration: usually a day trip
Guiding: 1:1 or 1:2
The Remarkables: a classic alpine day out
The Remarkables: an iconic summit that stands proudly above Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu. They make for a classis day out for any aspiring alpine climber or ski / snowboard mountaineer.
As the name implies the Remarkables are unusually steep and rocky compared with most of the more rounded and grassy peaks of the southern lake’s region.
The development of the Ski Area saves us a whole day’s walk as now it is possible to drive to 1600m.
From winter through to spring and summer, the area has a number of options for a variety of adventures:
- Classic alpine climbing can be found on the South Gully and NE spur of Single Cone, the Remarkables’ highest summit.
- Ice and mixed climbing, including the routes on the Telecom Tower and above Lake Alta.
- For more seasoned climbers, the Grand Traverse can be done by crossing the whole group over Double Cone to Single Cone and descending the south gully.
Spring and Summer:
- A ski / snowboard mountaineering trip up and down single cone via the Grand Coulior is a great spring option
- In summer the snow melts to reveal solid multi-pitch alpine rock on the Lake Alta Slabs and the DB eh buttress.
- Single cone and the Grand Traverse are also excellent summer objectives with the luxury of quick access through the grassy alpine meadows.
So why go up the Remarkables?
Watch the local skydivers drop well below before pulling their chutes and land 2000 m below the summit. On a clear day enjoy views of the main divide of the Southern Alps including Earnslaw, Mt Aspiring and Aoraki Mount Cook. Or take a refreshing swim in the crystal-clear waters of Lake Alta. The Remarkables will not disappoint.